Family support

Gen is proud to offer benefits that support your family your way.

Dependent care flexible spending account (FSA)

A dependent care flexible spending account (FSA) through MyChoice Accounts is a tax-free savings plan to help you pay for eligible dependent care expenses.


All U.S. active team members working at least 20 hours per week are eligible to participate in the dependent care FSA. 

If you’re married, your spouse must be employed (including self-employment), a full-time student, or unable to care for themselves. Otherwise, your FSA election cannot exceed the income of the lower-earning spouse.

How it works

You can set aside pretax dollars to pay for eligible out-of-pocket dependent care expenses, subject to IRS limits based on your marital and tax-filing status.

Contribute between $120 and $5,000 pretax to your dependent care FSA. The IRS limit is $2,500 for married taxpayers filing separate returns.

Use the money in your account to pay for:

  • A licensed daycare center
  • Before- or after-school care for children up to age 13
  • Care for elderly or disabled adults who qualify as your tax dependents

A dependent care FSA cannot be used to pay for health care expenses. A health care FSA or a health savings account (HSA) can be used to pay for eligible health care expenses.

You will forfeit any unused funds in your FSA at the end of the year, so plan carefully. The last day to submit qualified expenses for reimbursement for the current year is March 31 of the following year.

If you have a midyear qualifying life event and drop your enrollment in the plan, you can only claim expenses incurred during your time in the plan. 

How to enroll

You can only sign up for a dependent care FSA as a new hire, during the annual Open Enrollment period, or if you experience a qualifying life event

You must reenroll each year during Open Enrollment. Once you enroll, you cannot make changes to your contribution amount unless you experience a qualifying life event

Have questions? Call 888-907-1335 to speak to a MyChoice Accounts customer care assistant.

Child and elder care

Gen has partnered with Bright Horizons to offer back-up child and elder care, educational assistance, and more to help you and your family manage the demands of work and life.


U.S. Gen team members actively working at least 20 hours per week are eligible to participate. Your dependents are eligible when the registration is under your name.

Back-up care

Bright Horizons gives you access to back-up care for both your children and adult family members when your regular care arrangements fall through. Back-up care can be used anytime you need to be at work and your family member needs assistance or support.

You can use up to 75 hours of back-up care per year at special rates:

  • $2 per hour per child for center-based care
  • $4 per hour for in-home care

Examples of when you might use back-up care

  • You have a new baby and need care while you transition back to a normal work schedule.
  • Your regular care center or school is closed.
  • You are between care arrangements.
  • Your regular caregiver is sick or has an appointment.
  • Your spouse or child is ill and needs someone with them while you are at work.

Ongoing support

Bright Horizons also offers resources to help you meet ongoing care needs. Visit the Bright Horizons website and select Enhanced Family Supports to find details and pricing.

  • Center-based child care: Get preferred enrollment access at select Bright Horizons child care centers. Registration costs up to $250 will be applied as a credit toward your next tuition payment after 30 days of enrollment at any participating preferred enrollment center.
  • Tuition discount: Receive up to 10% off child care tuition and a waived registration fee at participating centers.
  • Sittercity: Your free membership gives you access to babysitters, nannies, elder caregivers, pet sitters, tutors, and housekeepers.
  • BrightStudy: Access tutoring, test prep, and homework help with exclusive discounts for Bright Horizons families.

Get started

Visit the Bright Horizons website and register using your Gen team member ID number. 

Register now and download the Bright Horizons app so you are ready when you need back-up care. In the app, use username: Gen and password: Benefits4You.

Autism care management support

Cigna members can receive applied behavioral analysis (ABA) for treatment of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) under their medical plan.

How it works

Call Cigna One Guide at 888-806-5042 to request a Care Manager, who will provide ongoing case management and assistance for every step of the process, including obtaining preauthorization for services.

Preauthorization for treatment must be provided by a board-certified behavior analyst (BCBA) or a therapist supervised by a BCBA. ABA treatment must be deemed medically necessary and be provided by an approved provider:

  • Physician (MD or DO)
  • Psychologist (PhD or PsyD)
  • Certified behavior analyst (BCBA)
  • Speech therapist (SLT)
  • Occupational therapist (OTO)
  • Physical therapist (PT)


ASDs are most commonly managed through a combination of medical, behavioral, pharmacological, and educational interventions.

Preauthorized ABA treatment (unlimited visits per plan year) will be covered at the following levels:

 Cigna HSA planCigna OAP plans
In-networkYou pay 10% after you meet your deductible.You pay 15% after you meet your deductible.
Out-of-networkYou pay 30% after you meet your deductible.You pay 40% after you meet your deductible.

Speech, physical, and occupational therapy are covered for ASDs. Benefits are limited to 60 days per plan year per treatment (e.g., 60 days of speech therapy and 60 days of occupational therapy) and are covered under your medical benefits.


The following services are not covered:

  • Testing related to custody evaluations or any other court-ordered evaluations; therapeutic foster care
  • Rehabilitation
  • Vocational counseling
  • School evaluations or tutoring; any type of educational therapy or counseling
  • Services required by federal or state law to be provided by the school district
  • Recreational activities or therapies, such as wilderness programs or summer camps
  • Residential or therapeutic school treatment
  • Tuition for schools
  • Services provided by volunteers, child care providers, and family members of the child
  • Services paid for by state, local, or federal agencies